Sunday, February 12, 2012

News of the North

Though I haven't been venturing out much as it's very slippery outside, I'm happy to report that my ankle is healing nicely. I try to get to a mall for a little walking exercise for my foot, but give up about 10 minutes later when my ankle starts to ache a bit - though every day is better.

I've had time to get my photo albums up to date, and read the Citizen and The Globe and Mail most days, so time goes by quickly. I'm always happy to see articles about the North - they peak my interest, whether its about the Haughton Crater on Devon Island and their research, mining in the North, or the warming climate that affects the polar bears. In yesterday's Citizen is an article on the Ancient Arctic ecosystem on Ellesmere Island regarding a comprehensive study done by two Canadian scientists. It is hard to believe that 40 million years ago  this cold rugged area was a lush, rainforest-like environment populated by prehistoric creatures akin to alligators, hippos and flying lemurs.Hundred of fossilized species found on this bleak cold island reveal this fact.Wow!

I have dug up the book 'Ancient Mariner' by Ken McGoogan, who incidentally was on our cruise On the Northwest Passage as on of the staff. It is about the adventures of Sanuel Hearne, who had walked to the Arctic Ocean. Perhaps on my next blog I will write about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment