Monday, June 10, 2013

Rakuing in Quebec's Eastern Township

Wow, I can hardly believe that it's two months since I wrote in my blog! Well, it is actually two weeks since I visited my friend, Rosemary, for a day of raku. And how lucky we were that it was the only nice day that week in which we had scheduled our raku. This is a once a year event when my husband and I journey the 3 1/2 - 4 hour trip - used to be through Montreal, but no more - since Highway 30 is complete, to Lac Trousers for our rakuing. Our first evening there, we just visit and enjoy each other's company while feasting on some great food.

The next morning, I start glazing the pots I brought for the raku; Rosemary has already done her's. I have small pots - she has large ones; and so we carry them down to the raking site and start the process of heating up the kiln with fuel from a propane tank. We load the raku four or five times during the day and each load takes about an hour. Andre, Rosemary's husband always unloads the hot kiln pots as Rosemary's are too heavy for her to handle. Of course, we are not always pleased with our results; but on average, we are quite happy. You just never know what will come out. I'm enclosing some of our raking pics.

As for other news, I'm waiting patiently for a new grandbaby that should have been born a couple of days ago; and shall come in the next few days. And, oh yes, I shall be giving a lecture with a few slides re travel writing at the Unitarian Church's Arts Night program on June 28 at 7:30. So enjoy your summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment