Friday, May 4, 2012

Two Reminders of My Travels North of 60

Reminders of things we have enjoyed in the past are always good. By now everyone knows of my interest and enjoyment of travel in the North. About a week ago we received a report (available to all who were on the Clipper Adventurer when it was grounded in the Coronation Gulf in 2010) from the Transportation Safety Board of Canada, about their investigation on our ship being lodged on the rock, and their recommended safety practices.
The report was indeed very interesting and detailed. It included the history of the voyage, events following the grounding, salvage operation, discovery of the shoal, notices to shipping and notices to mariners, safety management systems, and so forth. It was interesting to note the shoal had been discovered by the CCGS Sir Wilfrid Laurier in 2007. But because it had not been surveyed, it was not yet put in official documents though it did send Notice to Shipping (NOTSHIP) to warn vessels about local navigation hazards. Unfortunately this hazard notice had not reached the Clipper Adventurer, and unfortunately the ship's forward looking sonar was not serviceable on this cruise. 
It was intriguing to note that on Sept 3 and 4, the first two tugboats could not move the Clipper Adventurer; more help was recruited. It did not help that the strong winds pitching the ship caused more damage. Another tug arrived about Sept 8th; but it was not until Sept. 14th with a 4th tug that they were able to remove the ship from the rock. I was saddened reading about the problems encountered, but it did stir some pleasant memories from that very enjoyable trip.

The second reminder of my travels North came when a pottery friend, Mary, told me about her upcoming trip to the Yukon and Alaska. As we perused over some pamphlets I had brought her from our travels, flash backs of our trip flooded my mind; I could see Miles Canyon in Whitehorse, then the beautiful mountain scenery along the Dempster. Ah yes, it was beautiful! Mary is now reading my book, 'RV-ING and Other Adventures North of 60. When I told my husband about this, he asked, "Well, would you like to go again?" Having been North of 60 eight times, I had to answer, "Well, I think not."


1 comment: